Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Friday, September 30, 2005

practice what you believe

i rolled out of bed early this morning...5:30...and went to a men's prayer meeting at my church. it was an extremely encouraging and intense hour from 6am to 7am, as it is every week, and as i listened to other men (most of them at least 10 years older than me) confess their lack of a prayerful heart and life I realized something...

most of us don't practice what we believe.

what i mean by that, and i am by far the most guilty of this, is that we don't live our lives in harmony with what we believe. prayer is probably one of the most glaring areas of this in my life. i know that prayer is powerful and essential for close fellowship with god...but i don't pray. do you know what this tells me? that i don't really believe what i say i believe. i know these things about prayer, but i don't believe them.

in my experience, people who really believe something also live it out. jesus really believed in the necessity of prayer and the gospels constantly portray how busy this man from nazareth was. yet in the midst of his busyness, jesus took time to pray. the gospels show us a man who was intimately connected to the father by prayer. jesus practiced what he believed.

i too feel so busy all the time and i am busy doing work that i believe is beneficial to god's kingdom. but i am often so caught up in doing the lord's work that i'm not caught up in the lord. how busy is your life? there are so many areas of our lives other than prayer that we could apply this truth to. take time out today to confess to jesus those areas of your life where you don't truly believe and ask him to help you practice what you believe!

2 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

Oh, this hits close to home! In fact, I blogged about it earlier this week. All too often, what I say or think I believe is not evident in my life. Oh, how I need a Savior - daily!

 
At 2:28 PM, September 30, 2005, Blogger ryan sutherland said...

thanks for your comment anne. i was actually thinking after reading your comment and article of doing a follow-up post about how no-one is truly consistent.

in fact, even if i did pray faithfully, my heart is so wicked that it would want to claim some sort of righteousness based on my prayer life!

i echo your sentiment--praise god for jesus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home