Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

RLP Gets Saved

Looks like Real Live Preacher (RLP) just got Saved (yes, that movie with McCauley Caulkin that lampoons contemporary American Christianity).

RLP's comments are well worth reading - basically he says, "yeah, at one time or other I've seen most of what that movie paints as Christian experience... so why on earth am I still a Christian?" Good question. Here's part of his answer...
These are the sort of things that used to make me fantasize about leaving Christianity and embracing some other, “less crazy” worldview. Perhaps some form of scientific empiricism would fit the bill, wherein I wouldn’t claim absolute belief about anything without solid and repeatable evidence that can be detected with one of the five senses.

I mean, with empiricism you know you’ll miss some truth simply because humanity has not experienced it yet, and you know you'll have to fudge a bit when it comes to the subject of love, but at least you know where you stand.

Christianity, on the other hand, is all over the map. One minute you’re watching the Discovery Channel and considering the evidence for global warming, and the next minute you’re standing before a group of people and telling them that Jesus died for their sins and rose again on the third day.


Who can make sense of a claim like that?

And yet, I have not left Christianity for a number of personal, emotional, and relational reasons that I have a hard time sorting out myself, much less explaining to others...

...I CAN tell you something that happened to Jeanene and I the morning after we watched “Saved.” It was nothing miraculous or even out of the ordinary, but it meant a lot to us...
Want to know the rest of the story? Well click on over to read it in full. His comments certainly resonate with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home