Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Monday, March 28, 2005

Favorite Movie Quotes

Ok, my brain is fried right now, and since I can't think of anything else at the moment, I thought this might be a good time to catalogue some of our favorite movie quotes (if we can get enough, maybe we'll make this a permanent link on the sidebar)...

  • "In Montana, there's three things we're never late for: church, work, and fishing. Neal, you're late.”
    - Paul Maclean delivering the ultimate snub, in A River Runs Through It.
  • "A ship's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails - that's what a ship needs - but what a ship is, what the Black Pearl really is, is freedom.”
    - Capt. Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • "Life IS pain, highness - anyone who says otherwise is selling something"
    - Wesley to Buttercup in The Princess Bride.
  • "I don't think your boy knows what he's in for."
    "Nobody would do anything if they knew what they were in for..."

    - Amarante responding to the Coyote Angel in The Milagro Beanfield War.
  • "Every man dies, but not every man really lives."
    - William Wallace in Braveheart.

  • "I don't want to kill you, and you don't want be dead"
    - Malachi Johnson to the bad guys in Silverado.
  • "The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    - Norman Maclean and friends in A River Runs Through It
  • "Lately, dear, your low self-esteem is just good common sense"
    - mother to adult daughter who's made a series of very poor choices in Spanglish.

  • "I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are."
    - Mark Darcy to Bridget in Bridget Jones Diary.
  • "You think you've found the right man, but there's so much wrong with him, and then he finds there's so much wrong with you, and then it all just falls apart."
    - Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason
Every single one of these quotes resonates with me, not just because they're pithy or well phrased, but because they seem to tap into something universal; they manage to say something significant about life and reality. And in many ways, I think that's what makes for great movies, books, and art - the really great works all find a way to rise above the moment and speak to what is transcendant and true.

Now I'm sure there's a whole lot more which I'm simply forgetting at the moment. SO, here's your chance to contribute to SLD! If you'd like to share some of your favorite quotes, leave a comment or email me, and we'll consider adding it to our list...

12 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, March 28, 2005, Blogger chris said...

"I can't love people in slices." -- Arthur to Lancelot in First Knight.

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -- William Wallace in Braveheart.

 
At 10:54 PM, March 28, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

I've been googling, and I found a site that said the John Wayne quote (which is my homeschool motto ;-)) came from "Sands of Iwo Jima". Sadly, I've never seen the movie, so I can't verify it, but it is definitely one of my all-time favorite quotes!

 
At 9:39 AM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

I almost forgot to leave two of my favorite quotes - both from the movie Spanglish. The first is, " Lately, dear, your low self-esteem is just good common sense," (said by a mother to her adult daughter who had made a series of very poor choices). The other is, "Worrying about your kids is sanity, and being that sane... can drive you nuts."

 
At 11:42 AM, March 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's not a miracle [that man has been to the moon]; we just decided to go."
--Ray Lovell in Apollo 13

 
At 7:54 PM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Ainsley said...

Big Fat Greek Wedding:
Aunt Voula: What do you mean he don't EAT no MEAT?
[the entire room stops, in shock]
Aunt Voula: Oh, that's okay. That's okay. I make lamb.

 
At 9:32 PM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Molly said...

Oh Christian, if you think there's a trend in two quotes from Bridget Jones, you ain't seen nothing yet!

By the way, folks, if you are as un-technologically saavy as I am, you might not realize that Christian has a neat-o "magic" trick, and if you roll your cursor over a lot of things on See Life Differently (like the links to movies here), other little comments will pop up.

The joys of blogging with a computer programmer!

 
At 12:50 AM, March 30, 2005, Blogger Charles said...

My favorite, and fitting for this site os from Woody Allen's Stardust Memories, "You call me an Aethiest, but God calls me the loyal opposition."

 
At 4:05 AM, April 04, 2005, Blogger We Three Spences said...

One of my top 10

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

"It's not personal...It's
business."

"It means he sleeps with the fishes."

Need I even tell you what movie this is from?
If you don't know I'll be disappointed.
Jan...the new kid on the block.

 
At 2:36 PM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Dan McGowan said...

"Some mistakes you never stop paying for..."
- Roy Hobbs says this to the Glenn Close character while he is recuperating in the hospital. The reference is to a gunshot he received many years earlier that ended his baseball career before his amazing comeback in his 40's... which gives hope to us all.

On another note, I hope it's okay with you if I add a link to your site over on my blog...

 
At 2:38 PM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Dan McGowan said...

And another favorite, from what is probably my favorite film of all time, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid." The quote is spoken by Butch, after Sundance has made fun of him for coming up with another "brilliant" idea... They are riding along on their horses and Butch grunts out...

"I got vision, the rest of the world wears bifocals..."

 
At 8:03 PM, July 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And shepards we shall be,
for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth
from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly
carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river
forth to Thee,
and teeming with souls
shall it ever be.
--"Prayer" from Boondock Saints

 
At 8:26 PM, July 27, 2005, Blogger Christian said...

'Boondock Saints' eh? Never heard of it, but the name sure sounds cool... I may have to check it out!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home