Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Gospel Interruptions

So tonight I am sitting here trying to finish up a couple of papers which are due tomorrow, when Sundance Sally walks into my room and says, "Dad, I'm not sure I know how to share the gospel..."

Note to self: when your 10 year old daughter says something like this, it's generally a good idea to drop whatever you're doing and talk for a little while.

And that's what we did. We talked about the gospel, about what it means to be a Christian (to be a follower of Christ), about how the only way God will accept us is if we are connected to Christ, as his adopted brother or sister, and how the only way that will happen is if we acknowledge we're screwed up (repent) and put all our trust and confidence in him (believe).

Repent and believe the good news (Mk 1:15) - that's the heart of the gospel, really.

And then we talked about how so many people are really putting their trust in something else - in their own goodness, or in some universal benevolence of God. But that's not the picture Scripture paints of God, nor is it the picture Scripture paints of us. Good news isn't good if we won't acknowledge the badness of our sin.

What a privilege to have your daughter asking you how you to share her faith. Somehow, it kind of puts everything in perspective. And frankly, I need that. I need the perspective that comes from the Gospel, from relationships. I need my daughter to stir my faith even as I strive to stir hers.

Her closing words were great: "I think I'm going to like being a church planter's daughter... I'm going to get lot's of opportunities to share the gospel..." Preach it, sister, you preach it.

And then as she headed to her bedroom for the night, she piped up with one last question: "Can I share the gospel even with adults?" Yeah sweetie, even with adults.

Thank you Jesus for touching my daughter's heart. Please continue to touch mine also...

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, February 04, 2006, Blogger JD said...

That's really beautiful.

 
At 9:07 PM, February 05, 2006, Blogger Greg said...

had me in tears..
God bless you both

 

Post a Comment

<< Home