Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Friday, May 06, 2005

Mormon Christology: Some Questions...

As some of you will recall from a previous post, I'm trying to learn more about Mormon Christology. Based on a number of recommendations from practicing Mormons (and various others), I have been working through Craig Blomberg's and Stephen Robinson's How Wide the Divide. And I'm getting to the point where I have some questions and I'd like to get Mormon feedback.

Before I do that, however, I'd like to state what I'm trying to do and lay out some basic ground rules...

1. First of all, I'm going to try to keep my questions very short and focused, to try and keep things from running off on tangents, down rabbit trails, etc. I would ask that people try and respond in like fashion (please don't answer what I'm not asking, unless you feel there's a question that I should be asking instead). If you have questions about what I'm asking, or where I'm coming from, please DO ask.

2. Second, while I welcome input from all (including ex-Mormons), I'm MOST interested in hearing from those of you who ARE Mormons. And what I am interested in is understanding how you see the world. I want to do my best to represent your point of view as best as I can.

3. Third, I DO NOT WANT THIS TO DEVOLVE INTO A SHOUTING MATCH. So, for all you Evangelical types out there... please remember what your mother said ('If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all'); if you find that difficult, then remember what Jesus said (the piece about 'loving your enemies') - in other words, time to practice what you preach! If you don't I will delete your comments. As for you Mormon types, please feel free to say whatever you want - you are our guests here and I realize this may feel like 'hostile territory' so I want to give you as much liberty as possible to express yourself. Just remember that everyone will probably hear one another better if we all make a conscious effort to be charitable, and say things nicely. It's ok to lighten up and laugh a little.

4. Fourth, in the interest of full disclosure, please do everyone a favor and just tell us briefly where you are coming from (Mormon? Ex-Mormon? Catholic? Protestant? And what sub-camp of your particular fold?). I'll start - I'm Presbyterian Church of America, which is a theologically conservative branch of protestantism that looks back on the Reformation and sees Luther, Calvin, and the English Puritans as good guys. If you want to know more about where I stand it's available here.

So then! With that out of the way, on to the questions...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home