Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Friday, March 25, 2005

Amazing.

I felt blessed last night when I found that I had some "extra" time to be still -- I'd left the distractions of the pets and the TV and the internet for the night, but I wasn't yet to the point of falling into bed. So father than force in a few (negligible) moments of studying, I decided to actuall be still.

I was going to start off by telling God how amazing it is that my entire life pivots (or should, at least) around the events that we celebrate in the next three days. It's mind-boggling that the very foundations of this world - physically and spiritually - shook on the day that Jesus died. And it's even more amazing to solemnly consider Christ's agony in light of the immense joy that was set before him - for himself and for us.

I encourage you: if you haven't already taken some time today to be still and to consider this, do yourself a favor and revel in your Savior a bit.

So I'm thinking all of this, and I start off casually telling the Lord, "You know what's amazing, God?" And then I had to stop and chuckle to myself. Does God know what I think is amazing? You bet! Ever time I admire a sunset or an icicle, God is saying, "Thank you very much; I think it's beautiful, too." God created this world and everything in it to be a constant marvel.

But does God himself find it amazing? I kind of think he does - not because he is in awe of how intricate the flower petals are or he is astounded by a magnificent thunder/lightening combo that illumines the whole sky. It's amazing to God because he knows precisely how intricate, powerful and majestic is his creation. Its blueprint is in his even bigger mind.

But even more amazing is the fact that God delights in the small things, in the intricacies, in the things that most of us don't even take the time to notice, like the way a drop of water glistens as it slides off of a melting icicle, hesitating at the tip before making the plunge to the ground. Chesterton has pointed out for us how God delights in orchestrating the sunrise every morning.

I stand in awe when I begin to consider what an amazing God we serve, who daily sustains and directs the details of the world, down to the hairs on our heads. I cover my mouth when I realize what a functional heretic I am for not always being drawn to worship as I observe the God-glorifying structure of everything around me.

Right now, however, I mostly rejoice because Christ who died is now risen in paradise, and I have the opportunity to join with all creation as we magnify His holy name.

"Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together!" (Psalm 34:3)

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Molly said...

Thanks to Christian for helping me with one of the typo's in this post -- not, "Christ is NOT risen to paradise," but rather, "Christ is NOW risen to paradise."

That one letter makes all the difference in the world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home