Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Right Word

Ever had one of those "stream of consciousness" moments where all of a sudden some thought or image pops into your mind and you think, "How on earth did I get there?" I'm not talking about bad things here - I'm talking about how your brain drifts off, and all of a sudden starts making connections, and then "poof" - you're a hundred miles away from where you started. Sometimes its fun to try and recall how you got there - at others its better just to smile and enjoy the destination. As for me, this morning, I started reading Psalm 81, which is a Psalm of Asaph, and "poof "- here's where I ended up:
The right word, at the right time, is worth more than a thousand words, a thousand books, a thousand years. Of course the wrong word, at the wrong time, can be just as potent.
I won't even bother trying to explain how I got there. And as for what it means, well you can figure that out. But there's something about that end result that I like. So I thought I'd post it. There. Now back to studying for my Ethics exam this afternoon...

1 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Molly said...

Christian, there's no need to explain those kinds of "random" thoughts to me -- I feel like I live in that realm, sometimes!

And re: your thought, I think it's right on. Remember the ol' "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" I remember the first time I realized, "Hey! That't not true," even though I can't remember the specific incident that prompted that thought.

The other amazing thing is that you never know when something that you say to someone -- even if it's a pause to say a kind word that you don't give a second thought after the moment passes -- can have a lasting impact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home