Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Saturday, March 18, 2006

So You Think You Can Juggle?

So you think you can juggle? Well check this guy out. His name is Chris Bliss, and I've simply never seen anything like this. Amazing! (HT: michael lee)

UPDATE: Okay, so no sooner had I posted this and shown it to my kids, than they found a parody of this guy's act - it's called Chris Bliss Diss and its performed by a guy named Jason Garfield, to the exact same tune / routine, but with 5 balls!!! As one of his friends explains:
As a juggler, I (and most of my juggling friends) are pretty annoyed by the fact that everyone and their mother (literally) is forwarding us this video and talking about how great the guy is.

So my friend Jason copied his routine, trick for trick. Only Jason does it with 5 balls. Yep. Five. Watch the video, and understand: THIS is great juggling. That Bliss guy may put on a good act, but he is not a good juggler. There is a huge difference.
So which is better? I'll let you decide. Both look pretty amazing to me...

8 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Gotta go with the Garfield character, pretty impressive. Bliss has some pretty sweet tricks, but really, anyone can learn to juggle three balls in one afternoon.

 
At 6:13 AM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Dan McGowan said...

You know, if it ends up that George Clooney can do this, then we men are gonna be in REAL trouble!

 
At 8:30 AM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Molly said...

I haven't gotten a chance to watch either video yet, but I'm sure I would be significantly more impressed by the 5-ball guy. I've been able to juggle 3 items (even basketballs!) for years, and it's not hard to learn little variations that look impressive. I used to try hard to keep 5 balls in the air at once, but I could only get it to last for the first toss.

 
At 12:43 PM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

You've got to see the video, before you say this. There's juggling w/ 3 balls, and then there's "juggling w/ 3 balls like Chris Bliss does". It really is amazing.

Now, I'll toss in my opinion - I think the 5 ball thing is technically more impressive. But I actually think the bliss video is artistically better - he manages to capture the music in his juggling, in a way I think the other guy fails to.

Kind of like Bob Dylan - what makes him Dylan is not his technical ability - there are lots of guys who could play way more technically, or who could even play Dylan's own stuff better. But Dylan has a magic in his performance - it's that quality that you can't really put into words - and that's what I see in Bliss's juggling.

Just my .02...

 
At 10:58 PM, March 20, 2006, Blogger ryan sutherland said...

Yeah really artistic. I liked the three balls better too. The only problem is that the guy looked like Arthur Fonzarelli, a.k.a. Harry Winkler!

 
At 7:40 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Molly said...

Okay, I've watched both videos. Like ice skating in the winter olympics, there's technical and artistic merit.

Yes, Bliss would win on artistic merit alone - he puts on a great act; but the 'diss' video performance was exponentially more difficult than Bliss'... so he still wins in my book. Some of the things he did with 5 balls were utterly amazing.

My mom agrees :)

 
At 7:57 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

Ok, ok, I acquiesce and concur - I'm not messing w/ Molly's mom! :-)

 
At 10:40 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Brendt said...

Mr Five-ball doesn't simply fail to capture the music the way that Bliss does -- he fails miserably. Bliss is fully integrated in the music. Five-ball happens to coincidentally have music playing in the background -- very little of his routine syncs with the music. Five-ball may be more technically talented at juggling, but I didn't stop Bliss' video half-way through out of boredom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home