Key Links: Welcome | Favorite Movie Quotes | Guestbook | XML | Contact Us

Friday, February 18, 2005

My Intolerance (exerpt)

(Charlesdog recently posted these reflections, and I thought it was worth sharing...)

When my parents were my age, my father went to Woodstock and hitchhiked all around the country living in communes and my mother was in the Peace Corp in the Dominican Republic living in a tin roofed shack with no indoor plumbing. I went to a school where you called your teachers by their first name. When I told a kid their that I didn’t shop at the Weaver’s Way Co-Op, I would have gotten a better response if I had farted in his face. I’ve heard “Touch of Gray” by the Grateful Dead more times than you could imagine. Needless to say, I grew up liberal. Naturally, being a liberal, I was tolerant of other people. Or was I?

A few years ago a nice family couple moved in next door. I had many conversations with them, and I was always welcome at their house where something was always cooking on the grill and the Cappuccino was always flowing. These people were great people, so naturally, I thought that they were liberals. Well, it turns out that they were Conservative Christian Republicans. I guess we all assume that people who we like are just like us.

They are slowly being “outted” to the people in the neighborhood. I say this because being Republican in Germantown is like being Gay in Alabama. The exchange goes something like this, “Is it true so and so is a Republican?” Then I say, “Yes.” Then they say, “Oh, I never would have known, he was such a nice guy.” Needless to say, this family still lives next door and has taken to the community well.

Read the rest of Charlesdog's post...

3 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, February 19, 2005, Blogger Charles said...

Oh, jeez, I'm so honored. Many great sinful posts are to come, I promise you.

 
At 8:13 AM, February 19, 2005, Blogger Molly said...

Charles, I read your whole post on your site, and I thought it was incredibly insightful. Keep teaching us!

I have this uneasy feeling that a typical Christian would read what you wrote and think, "Yeah, he's finally seeing things our way!" ... but they would continue to be rudely unwilling to see things from your point of view. We Christians have yet to find a way to balance what we believe to be objectively and universally true, and presenting that truth in a winsome way to people who disagree with us.

 
At 3:56 PM, February 19, 2005, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

Invite them to join us (seriously). I think we'd all benefit from listening to unbelievers a bit more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home